Posted on

New Art Studio, Interior Painting

Hi everyone.  Hope you are having a great week.  Thought you would like an update on the interior painting progress of my new Art Studio from last weekend.  Hurricane Hermine set us back a bit.  Several days of torrential rains prevented me from being able to get out into the back yard and get into the Studio.  The backyard became a swamp of water.  Thank the Lord we had nothing severe here, just tons and tons of rain and we were already waterlogged from a very wet summer.  On Saturday I had to make myself a walkway to the Studio with some paver bricks so that I could get out there to paint without getting my feet wet.  You can see in the pic the water is about ankle deep here near the Studio door, almost to the top of the bricks.  Out towards the center of the back yard, to the right of the pic, it was almost a foot deep.

img_0416

The back yard still has some standing water in it days later and is slowly drying out.  We are one house off the river so we had to literally watch the creek behind the house and make sure it did not rise too high.  Hubby put plastic and sand bags along the front edge of the house just in case.  The Counties north of us got hit really hard.  Lots of damage from high winds, trees falling on homes and cars, and lots and lots of flooded homes.  So we are definitely counting our blessings.

img_0406

I decided that painting the cabinets would be easier to do if I did them before Rick installs the sink and the counter top under them for me.  I cleaned the cabinets and got the cabinet doors taken off them.  These are the ones on the left hand side of the studio.

img_0402

Doors set up and ready to paint the primer.

img_0405

Two coats of primer painted on the doors.  There are 5 cabinet doors on this side of the Studio.

img_0419

I started putting the primer on the cabinet facings.  I am leaving the insides of the cabinets white, so not putting any paint on them.  Just painting everything that was pale pink previously.

img_0422

Two coats of primer on all the facings.

img_0426    And two coats of primer under the cabinet.   They are ready for the new paint.

I am not going to tell you what color I am painting the cabinets, not just yet.  You will have to wait for the big reveal!!  LOL.  Stay tuned for more updates to come.

#artstudio #interiorpainting #newartstudio #love #instagood #follow #followme #like #pickoftheday #instalike

Posted on

New Art Studio, Building the Interior

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while, been quite busy building my new Art Studio.  Getting so excited!!!  It is getting near being finished!!!  Cannot wait to actually start creating in it!!  Here are some chronological pics of the past 3 months:

RIMG0219

RIMG0222

In May we began framing up the interior walls (above).  Then came the insulation (below).

RIMG0989

  RIMG0994My hubby found some great bargains, he trolls all the Swap shops and CraigsList when we need something.  We scored a brand new exterior door in the frame with the locks for $100 (you can see the door in the pic below sitting in the background).  I needed two windows, one for each of the two front walls, found them, brand new never installed $50 each, another great score (sorry no pics of the windows yet).

RIMG1087

By July we were putting up the interior wall boards.  Joey and Bethany did the framing, the insulation, and the wall boards and ceiling in the back half of the two sections.  It is an art studio, so not getting fancy.  I thought about sheet rock, then I thought about all the tapeing, bedding, sanding, floating, and all the sheet rock dust, (been there, done that, with the house remodel) and I decided wall board would be much, much easier, and not as messy!!  Install it, caulk the corners and seams, and paint it!!

RIMG1088

RIMG1089

After the wall boards went up, we brought my cabinets out of storage.  My daughter-in-law’s brother, Randy, scored me these nice cabinets from a dentist office remodel, at the best price of all, they were free.  I have had them in storage waiting for this studio build for about a year and a half now!  By the way, hanging the ceiling boards was quite a bit of work, but we got them up.  Had some great help from one of the youth from church, Thomas, and also from my grandson, Matthew and his girlfriend Em, and his best friend, Joseph.  All of us hung the wall and ceiling boards in the front end of the studio.

RIMG1092

Here is what the two halves of the studio looked like in July.  The left side will have a sink and counter top under the cabinets.  The right side will be for my kilns.  I will have a wet side, on the left, and a hot side, on the right.  My glass band saw and glass grinder have diamond bits and are water cooled to keep the diamond bits cutting efficiently.  Having them near the sink will be fantastic, and will make it so much easier to fill them when needed.

In the above pic, on the right side, you can also see my brand new glass fusing kiln.  We brought it out of storage too.  We scored that about a year and a half ago also.  It has been patiently waiting in storage for it’s new home.  $3000 kiln, brand new, never fired, stole it for $1000.  The gentleman bought it for his wife and she got sick and never used it.  We drove to Atlanta to pick it up, but it was so worth it.  The small table top kilns will be on a counter top under the cabinets.

Below you can see by August I started painting the wall boards.  Here is the first coat of paint going on the walls,  and the ceiling.  (You can see my new sink in this pic.)  Had some great help painting from Thomas, and from my granddaughter, Sarah.

IMG_0393

More to come in the next post!!!  Just wanted to share the studio progress with you so you would know what I have been up to, and why I haven’t posted much in a while.

#artstudio #interiorpainting #newartstudio #love #instagood #follow #followme #like #pickoftheday #instalike